- 200 grams butter
- 1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
- 1 egg
- 1 tsp vanilla essence
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1/4 cup cocoa
- 2 tsp baking powder
- pinch salt
- 1/2 cup coconut
- 2 cups corn flakes
- Now this was not my first choice of recipe for these crunchy easy cookies. I browsed through many recipe books and websites and stumbled across this one. It seemed to be larger in quantity and had more ingredients; such as coconut and vanilla essence. There are many different versions of the 'Afghan cookie'; but as it is a know treat to our friends in New Zealand, I trusted the advice from a New Zealand woman who claims she has perfected the recipe.
- Beat the butter and sugar until light and creamy. Beat in the egg and vanilla essence.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking powder and salt and using a metal spoon stir into the creamed mixture with the coconut and corn flakes. Spoon large tablespoonfuls of the mixture onto greased trays. Bake at 180°C for 15 minutes.Cool on a cake rack before icing with chocolate icing.
- Icing: In a bowl sift 11/2 cups icing sugar and 2 tblsp cocoa. Blend in 1 tsp melted butter and 2-3 tblsp warm milk until you have a thick icing of spreadable consistency.
- The only trouble I had during this whole process was beating the butter, sugar and egg mixture. It seemed once the egg was added it all sort of separated and refused to turn into a "light and creamy mixture". I used a combination of electric beater and a large metal spoon (which to my surprise, worked better).
- The cookies are very flavoursome and filling! Perfect with icing or without!