Thursday 23 June 2011

Honey Joys


Lately, I have craved something sweet and nostalgic. Sniffling my way about the kitchen (making sure that I was constantly washing my hands, to make sure I didn’t contaminate the delicious food that sat obligingly in front of me). This craving led me towards the pantry to browse and begin my thoughts on what to make. Staring at the novelty sized box of corn flakes I decided to make ‘Honey Joys’… a kids party favourite filled with plenty of butter and sugar.

Makes: around 20
Ingredients:
90g of butter
1/3 cup of sugar (white)
1 tbs of honey
4 cups of corn flakes

Let me just start off by saying that 1tbs of honey is far too little for a food that contains honey in the title. Like always, I added a little more of everything to make sure that the corn flakes were coated nicely in the glistening buttery mixture. I used about 110g of butter, and 3tbs of honey instead; with a sprinkle of sugar on top.

The recipe is easy enough, place butter, sugar and honey into a small saucepan


 and stir on medium heat until the mixture turns into a frothy yellow liquid and the sugar is dissolved. 




Pre-heat the oven to 150c fan forced whilst stirring the butter liquid. Once it is all melted pour on top of the corn flakes and gently stir to cover each little flake, gently move the spoon so you do not crush the flakes (as it would be quite deflating to eat something that looks like a golden mash.)



Place the mixture in to your prepared patty pan and cook in the oven for about 10 minutes or until golden.

 Let them rest on the bench for a little bit before eating or removing from the pan, as the honey ‘goop’ covering them will need to set a little bit to hold them in place. Once set you have sickly delicious treats that can sit upon the bench and still stay fresh!


I recommend eating two with a cup of tea!


No comments:

Post a Comment